Cataclysm: Metal Gear Solid
April 20, 2024, 01:57:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Some questions for Driverboy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions for Driverboy  (Read 1989 times)
GlyphGryph

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »

Since you keep bugging my on other forums, I decided to just come here instead - we can run through this here where you won't be wasting the time of people like Tarn who actually have better things to do.

Let's kick this off with a simple question:
Do you have any sort of license to allow you to use the Cataclysm codebase. Yes, or no?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:29:02 am »

Do you have any sort of license to allow you to use the Cataclysm codebase. Yes, or no?

https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm

We were both working on the same game, remember? And who are you to ask, stop pretending it's your game. You have the same permission as me or anyone else, only you are leeching of it by using it to beg for money while I'm giving my improvements and bug-fixes back for free.
Report Spam   Logged
GlyphGryph

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:19 am »

Except, of course, that we (unlike you) actually went through the process of talking to Whales and getting a proper license agreement. I rather doubt you actually talked to him, but maybe I'm wrong. Did you? Also, where is the public repository of your code so people can see it?

It's also a bit disingenuous of you to talk about me leeching off it when I'm not seeing a dime from the time I've put into it... while you run ads on your forums. Someone is making some money off your version, anyway...
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »

Except, of course, that we (unlike you) actually went through the process of talking to Whales and getting a proper license agreement. I rather doubt you actually talked to him, but maybe I'm wrong. Did you? Also, where is the public repository of your code so people can see it?

It's also a bit disingenuous of you to talk about me leeching off it when I'm not seeing a dime from the time I've put into it... while you run ads on your forums. Someone is making some money off your version, anyway...

Stop being stupid, it was open source before and it is open source after. New license only makes the difference for you to justify taking money and leeching of the code that is not yours.

Yes, I spoke to Whales, it's none of your business. I'm not using the code for personal profit or anything else, I am not stealing anyone's credit or pretending I wrote something that I didn't, that's what you are doing.
Report Spam   Logged
dan101

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:08:18 am »

Quote from: GlyphGryph
Let's kick this off with a simple question:

Quote from: GlyphGryph

Cataclysm is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm/blob/master/LICENSE

No one need request permission to use it. They must simply adhere to the rules of that license.
 Now legally speaking I'm not sure if this license even requires the source code to be made public, or does it?
 There is actually no mention of source code other than in the FAQ where it states:
 "This license is often compared to “copyleft” free and open source software licenses."

Yep here's the clarification:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_apply_a_Creative_Commons_license_to_software.3F

Can I apply a Creative Commons license to software?

We do not recommend it. Creative Commons licenses should not be used for software. We strongly encourage you to use one of the very good software licenses which are already available. We recommend considering licenses made available by the Free Software Foundation or listed at the Open Source Initiative. Unlike our licenses, which do not make mention of source or object code, these existing licenses were designed specifically for use with software. Furthermore, our licenses are not compatible with the GPL, the most frequently used free software license.

In my experience this license is generally only used for art/media assets within a game. The code itself would usually be licensed under GPL.

But with that said, any chance you could show your source code Driverboy?

Cheers.

Edit/

I'm not using the code for personal profit or anything else,

This license does not stop you doing that. It explicitly states that you can sell your own modifications, but they must be released under the same license. Not that it would be the right thing to do mind you ;-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:03:34 am by Driverboy » Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:04:59 am »

Modified previous post instead of replying by accident. Fixed.

Quote from: dan101
But with that said, any chance you could show your source code Driverboy?

Yeah, it's closed only since recently due to DDA Kickstarter and will be open again in three months. Previous builds with source code included are still public download. If you really insist on recent code you can tell me the reason and I'll most likely give it to you.
Report Spam   Logged
dan101

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »

I just like to play around with the code while I play Cataclysm. But thats usually fixing bugs hehe (which I haven't found yet), in this case I wanted to add some volume controls as although I really like the inclusion of music I find it far too loud, even using windows individual volume controls its still a bit too loud. Yes I could open the files and simply re-save them with less volume, but thats not as much fun.  Wink
 But I understand you've got this **** going on so I can wait until you release it publically.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »

I just like to play around with the code while I play Cataclysm. But thats usually fixing bugs hehe (which I haven't found yet), in this case I wanted to add some volume controls as although I really like the inclusion of music I find it far too loud, even using windows individual volume controls its still a bit too loud. Yes I could open the files and simply re-save them with less volume, but thats not as much fun.  Wink
 But I understand you've got this **** going on so I can wait until you release it publically.

I've sent you a link in PM.
Report Spam   Logged
al21

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »

Could I obtain the source code for similar reasons also?
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »

Could I obtain the source code for similar reasons also?

Yes, check your PM.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum