Cataclysm: Metal Gear Solid
April 20, 2024, 10:09:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Graphics: sprites and tiles

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics: sprites and tiles  (Read 5258 times)
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:39 pm »

If you could compile a version that supports all sprites it would be nice, but not particularly required. (perhaps after I am done with the current tiles)
I am having a little trouble deciphering tileset.json

The identifier part I can understand, as I have added items before.
However fg and bg are a little unclear.
I assume it is instructions for pointing toward a certain part of tile.bmp, but I am unsure of what the numbers correspond too.

I am assuming the number after fg is the tile number?

"fg":259 would correspond to the dirt graphic, just before sand and just after the wall looking component?

Not sure about bg though, is that the background for the tile?

Yes, fg is simply the tile number. There is no much point to using bg (background), you can simply copy background you want in the sprite itself. In either case there is a problem. For example, you make a chair use floor background (default bg) and it will have that background whether it is indeed in a house our outside on the grass. The problem is unfortunately deep within the game. Chairs, fridges, beds, ovens and stuff like that are defined as ground tiles themselves instead of being items/objects that can be placed over some ground tile. Try to use some neutrally looking background for things that can be found on different types of terrain.

Traps, items and monsters on the other hand can be placed over ground tiles, but you don't define any background for them, you just make their sprite background be of that light blue color you can see many other sprites have, and whatever pixel has that particular blue color it will be transparent so the sprite can be placed over any background. That's how chairs, beds and stuff should work too, but they don't because they are terrain tiles themselves and there can only be one terrain tile at one place.

edit:

I figured I would start out on traps, I made the tr_*trapname* entries point to a new section of tile.bmp, but they don't appear at the moment.(still ascii)
I have noticed a few of them had previous identifiers, but only the spiked board seems to show up.
I am not sure If I have the .json file pointing to the right entries.

Traps, items and monsters are currently represented with ASCII in my build. I disabled use of those sprites, it will show up when I enable it back again. In the meantime you can use original Utunnels code with DDA build which does that by default:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hjn789f75t3kax8
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum