Cataclysm: Metal Gear Solid
March 19, 2024, 03:04:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Graphics: sprites and tiles

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics: sprites and tiles  (Read 5221 times)
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:11 pm »

DOWNLOAD (17. July), MGSmod rev.78b-tiles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xf606bbhrxdu0f3

Windows 64-bit SDL .dll files:
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32-x64.zip
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer-1.2.12-win32-x64.zip
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL_ttf-2.0.11-win32-x64.zip

MGSmod rev.78b-tiles, based on 'Utunnel's tiles':
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=202.msg18311

mods & improvements
- proper low light illumination & alpha blending
- bluish tint for night time, various tiles graphics changes
- converting to Oryx sprites, or modifications to similar style
- rewrite, optimisation and graphic redesign, vehicle colors
- animations, targeting cursor, weather effects, new sprites
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:32:10 am by Driverboy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wad67

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

Looking very nice, However I have encountered a rather strange bug, I think it may be associated with the movement sound.

At the starting shelter I have noticed whenever I walk over the staircase the game crashes.
Could this be due to a missing sound file?

I am running windows 7 64 bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »

Looking very nice, However I have encountered a rather strange bug, I think it may be associated with the movement sound.

At the starting shelter I have noticed whenever I walk over the staircase the game crashes.
Could this be due to a missing sound file?

I am running windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks for reporting this. Some other people mentioned problems with 64-bit Windows but I didn't get a chance to hear more about it. I don't have it so I couldn't test it myself.

All sound files are there, are you saying you hear no music or sound effects?

When you press F3 to disable tiles, does it still happen?

In any case all the problems should be fixed if you download 64-bit SDL .dll files and copy them in the game folder over existing ones:

Windows 64-bit SDL .dll files:
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32-x64.zip
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer-1.2.12-win32-x64.zip
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL_ttf-2.0.11-win32-x64.zip

...just unzip and replace the old (32-bit) ones.

Let me know how did it go.

By the way, have you tried any of the previous builds and were there any such problems before?
Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:36:08 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, I still do have sound I was just wondering if that related to the issue at all.

While running in ASCII mode (f3) It does not crash at all when I walk over the stairs tile. - I have not swapped over the 64 bit dlls yet.
And after changing the graphics for the stairs, I cannot get this to reproduce, However I think it may actually depend on which set of stairs, I am not adamant that it is crashing on all stairs which is rather strange.
I have tried all of the previous builds and I have not encountered this bug.

That being the only problem so far, It is refreshing playing in a square font, and it runs much faster than the DDA editions.

I changed up the graphics a little, they seemed a little bit too blocky in some areas. If you wanna use any of it feel free.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/tile.bmp

I will swap over the dll files and get back to you ASAP, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:27:42 am by Driverboy » Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:32 am »

By accident I went on to modify your message instead of replying to it, that's why it says at the bottom it was edited.

Thanks for the quick reply, I still do have sound I was just wondering if that related to the issue at all.

While running in ASCII mode (f3) It does not crash at all when I walk over the stairs tile. - I have not swapped over the 64 bit dlls yet.
And after changing the graphics for the stairs, I cannot get this to reproduce, However I think it may actually depend on which set of stairs, I am not adamant that it is crashing on all stairs which is rather strange.
I have tried all of the previous builds and I have not encountered this bug.

Nothing similar ever happened to me and I'm always keen on fixing bugs, so I'm very curious to track it down. If it happens again or if you see any other problems I'll be looking forward to fixing them all.

That being the only problem so far, It is refreshing playing in a square font, and it runs much faster than the DDA editions.

I changed up the graphics a little, they seemed a little bit too blocky in some areas. If you wanna use any of it feel free.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/tile.bmp

I will swap over the dll files and get back to you ASAP, thanks.

I prefer ASCII version, but if you are going to work on this tileset later it can be moved to DDA once they get the tiles support.

Let me know if you want to make monsters and items sprites too and I'll compile a version that shows all the sprites instead ASCII symbols. If you want to add some sprites that are not defined yet (shown as blue outline ASCII) you can do it by editing "tileset.json" file. Let me know if you want to know more and how exactly to do that.
Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:24:08 am »

If you could compile a version that supports all sprites it would be nice, but not particularly required. (perhaps after I am done with the current tiles)
I am having a little trouble deciphering tileset.json

The identifier part I can understand, as I have added items before.
However fg and bg are a little unclear.
I assume it is instructions for pointing toward a certain part of tile.bmp, but I am unsure of what the numbers correspond too.

I am assuming the number after fg is the tile number?

"fg":259 would correspond to the dirt graphic, just before sand and just after the wall looking component?

Not sure about bg though, is that the background for the tile?

edit:

I figured I would start out on traps, I made the tr_*trapname* entries point to a new section of tile.bmp, but they don't appear at the moment.(still ascii)
I have noticed a few of them had previous identifiers, but only the spiked board seems to show up.
I am not sure If I have the .json file pointing to the right entries.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:00:21 am by wad67 » Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:39 pm »

If you could compile a version that supports all sprites it would be nice, but not particularly required. (perhaps after I am done with the current tiles)
I am having a little trouble deciphering tileset.json

The identifier part I can understand, as I have added items before.
However fg and bg are a little unclear.
I assume it is instructions for pointing toward a certain part of tile.bmp, but I am unsure of what the numbers correspond too.

I am assuming the number after fg is the tile number?

"fg":259 would correspond to the dirt graphic, just before sand and just after the wall looking component?

Not sure about bg though, is that the background for the tile?

Yes, fg is simply the tile number. There is no much point to using bg (background), you can simply copy background you want in the sprite itself. In either case there is a problem. For example, you make a chair use floor background (default bg) and it will have that background whether it is indeed in a house our outside on the grass. The problem is unfortunately deep within the game. Chairs, fridges, beds, ovens and stuff like that are defined as ground tiles themselves instead of being items/objects that can be placed over some ground tile. Try to use some neutrally looking background for things that can be found on different types of terrain.

Traps, items and monsters on the other hand can be placed over ground tiles, but you don't define any background for them, you just make their sprite background be of that light blue color you can see many other sprites have, and whatever pixel has that particular blue color it will be transparent so the sprite can be placed over any background. That's how chairs, beds and stuff should work too, but they don't because they are terrain tiles themselves and there can only be one terrain tile at one place.

edit:

I figured I would start out on traps, I made the tr_*trapname* entries point to a new section of tile.bmp, but they don't appear at the moment.(still ascii)
I have noticed a few of them had previous identifiers, but only the spiked board seems to show up.
I am not sure If I have the .json file pointing to the right entries.

Traps, items and monsters are currently represented with ASCII in my build. I disabled use of those sprites, it will show up when I enable it back again. In the meantime you can use original Utunnels code with DDA build which does that by default:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hjn789f75t3kax8
Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:33:48 am »

For the time being I would prefer to use the MGS version, simply to cut down on general confusion between the 2(besides, MGS runs way better  Cheesy).
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:57 am »

For the time being I would prefer to use the MGS version, simply to cut down on general confusion between the 2(besides, MGS runs way better  Cheesy).

I thought you were mainly interested to make graphics so it can be used with DDA when they merge tiles support. In any case I'll enable those sprites in the next few days when I clean up the code and hopefully optimise the whole thing a bit more.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:11:29 am »

Show all sprites version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3aog48105y237g2

Car parts, items, monsters, traps, and fields like smoke or fire all use tile sprites in this version as original Utunnels code. It looks ugly to me, sprites need work and lots graphics is missing, which is why I disabled it in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:13:59 am »

Thanks for the update, did you happen to merge the fixes associated with calculating dodge?
Even with ridiculous levels of dodge my character still seems to be able to be hit.
I think the issue involved something else being called, and not having the actual dodge roll apply in some circumstances.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:03:11 am »

Thanks for the update, did you happen to merge the fixes associated with calculating dodge?
Even with ridiculous levels of dodge my character still seems to be able to be hit.
I think the issue involved something else being called, and not having the actual dodge roll apply in some circumstances.

I rewrote dodge and many other fluky combat related stuff long time ago. I don't think it's too hard, I think it should be even harder. You have to keep in mind that you can not dodge well when hit by multiple monsters in the same time, when your speed is low, or if your pain or encumbrance is high. Check those numbers, all your stats and any effects, then tell me what monster(s) was attacking you and how many hits did you dodge and not dodge.

Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:47:43 am »

I was not aware that it was rewritten, Used to the DDA system I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 05:04:18 am »

I was not aware that it was rewritten, Used to the DDA system I guess.

It's still a system that rolls a dice by taking into account player stats and effects, just a bit differently, not so forgiving, and is more complete by also taking calculations with things that were not accounted for before. If you think something should be more balanced just let me know more specific details of the circumstances, your stats and effects.
Report Spam   Logged
wad67

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 09:36:51 pm »

I have done a little more work, specifically with forests and such.

Any Ideas on what to do next? Or any improvements?
I did work a little on cabins, No log wall textures at the moment. Just wood walls.

I attempted to fix up the picket fences, they look a little better when they are in a vertical arangement, and match the gates a little more closesly,
the pillars at the moment look rather terrible, I intend to make those larger and much more multi purpose.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum