Cataclysm: Metal Gear Solid
March 29, 2024, 05:11:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Bug Rport: Object Disappears when thrown from roof

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug Rport: Object Disappears when thrown from roof  (Read 691 times)
Sheb

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:10 am »

What it says on the tin. Threw a flamethrower over the side from the evac shelter, and it disappeared.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:25:11 am »

What it says on the tin. Threw a flamethrower over the side from the evac shelter, and it disappeared.

Yes, it's a missing feature rather than bug. Z-levels don't interact with each other. I suppose it would be fairly easy to spawn thrown items on the floor below but I didn't think it's important or useful enough so I concentrated on other things. Do you think it's important, for something?
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:49:23 am »

Well, throwing grenade/molotov from roof does seems pretty important. But are Z-levels used in any other place than the evac shelters? Right now, it seems their only use is to add a mini-dungeon to each evac shelter, whereas there should be way to do really cool thing like climbing on a roof to escape zombies while spraying underground, or just jumping from roof to roof to get to a shop.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

Well, throwing grenade/molotov from roof does seems pretty important. But are Z-levels used in any other place than the evac shelters? Right now, it seems their only use is to add a mini-dungeon to each evac shelter, whereas there should be way to do really cool thing like climbing on a roof to escape zombies while spraying underground, or just jumping from roof to roof to get to a shop.

It's just a demo, only shelters and churches have upper levels. Having simultaneous z-levels as you describe would require a lot of redesigning of existing code, it would change the whole game and throw everything out of balance, it would also impact performance greatly. I think it's not worth the effort. For me it's enough things like church bell tower can simply exist and that you can go there.

Let's wait and see what DDA guys will make about z-levels with Kickstarter money. I'm not sure it's what the game needs, so I am not motivated invest any time, but if they manage to make anything good I'll look forward to make something 100x better.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »

Okay, so z-levels barely exist. Would you at least ocnsiders making roof we could move on?

Anyway, what future features are you planning in the game?
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:11:13 am »

Okay, so z-levels barely exist. Would you at least ocnsiders making roof we could move on?

Anyway, what future features are you planning in the game?

Yes, I'd like to put many other levels above the ground, but they need to be designed first. Missions, game ending and scoreboard would be the next thing I'd want to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »

You could just make it so that floor tiles spawn on top of buildings (Basically when you generate the z+1 level, make it so for every coordinate that had a building tile underneath it, spawn a floor, then add the special stuff like church towers). No need for level design.

By the way, what does it matter what the DDA guys do? Right now, the only way I can inteprete your comment is if a) You're in some kind of futile "my-****-is-bigger-than-yours" fight with them, or b) you're waiting so you can copy their code and save the hassle of making z-levels yourself.

Anyway, what exactly do you have in mind for mission and scoreboard?
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:37:24 pm »

You could just make it so that floor tiles spawn on top of buildings (Basically when you generate the z+1 level, make it so for every coordinate that had a building tile underneath it, spawn a floor, then add the special stuff like church towers). No need for level design.

Perhaps, but don't see why would anyone go there if they are not designed with some particular features to at least make them different from one another. I was hoping Acidia would eventually design top floors for his new buildings, like office towers, hotels and apartment buildings. 

By the way, what does it matter what the DDA guys do? Right now, the only way I can inteprete your comment is if a) You're in some kind of futile "my-****-is-bigger-than-yours" fight with them, or b) you're waiting so you can copy their code and save the hassle of making z-levels yourself.

I don't believe the feature fits in the game, I think even with perfect execution it would make it worse, slow and tedious. I'm open to the idea though, but I don't want to invest my time into experimenting with it, easier will be to learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, what exactly do you have in mind for mission and scoreboard?

Missions would concentrate gameplay on visiting special areas and killing special monsters. Quicker time to complete a mission would give better score.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum