Cataclysm: Metal Gear Solid
April 18, 2024, 05:10:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

[Suggestion+Bug]:Remove prompt when running over bushes/furniture

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Suggestion+Bug]:Remove prompt when running over bushes/furniture  (Read 1050 times)
Sheb

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:56 am »

While I do get the point in preventing people from loosing time, it really make travelling through a forest a PITA. Maybe put the prompt in the options?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:45:05 am by Sheb » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:34 am »

Actually, there is also a bug: if you decide not to go over a bush, enemies still get to move as if you had done enything.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04:16 am »

Ok, thanks. Not sure if that needs fixing, I'll think about it and see to make it a bit simpler and less user involved. In the meantime remember that you can you use short cuts for Y/N prompts: SPACE to cancel, ENTER to confirm.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:00:28 am »

The bug part definitely needs fixing. I can't imagine my survivor being pursued by zombies and then wait 10 second in front of a bush. "Shall I go through or not?" It also totally negate the point of a prompt before a bush.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:03:34 am »

The bug part definitely needs fixing. I can't imagine my survivor being pursued by zombies and then wait 10 second in front of a bush. "Shall I go through or not?" It also totally negate the point of a prompt before a bush.

It's a penalty for attempting it.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:58:14 am »

So what's the point of the prompt? Right now, it's just annoying when you're travelling through a forest, without helping you in the least, anytime. Is there any reason for the feature?
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:41 pm »

So what's the point of the prompt? Right now, it's just annoying when you're travelling through a forest, without helping you in the least, anytime. Is there any reason for the feature?

The point is to make you realize the game world is not flat, to make you be mindful where you go, for the purpose of immersing you deeper in the game and perceive fences and bushes as obstacles they are.

When you try to move over such obstacle you already make half the effort, the prompt is about giving you a choice to abort the action, hence time penalty. The point is to play more carefully, watch where you go so you don't get that prompt unless you actually wanted to climb over such obstacle in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:38 am »

Okay, so the point is actually to **** me off.

Edit: Sorry for being rude, but it makes abo****ely no sense. Do you also put up a prompt when going near a powerful enemy? With a penalty if you tried?

Edit2: You're not even consistant, as the prompt before walking on acid for exemple doesn't take any time. My guess is that in you're coding, you're putting the prompt up after the game processed your move. You should fix that.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

Okay, so the point is actually to **** me off.

No, the point is to make you realize the game world is not flat by not allowing you to simply walk over tables and cupboards as if they are decoration painted on the floor, which is what almost every other game does. What do you suggest anyway?

Edit: Sorry for being rude, but it makes abo****ely no sense. Do you also put up a prompt when going near a powerful enemy? With a penalty if you tried?

Walking near enemy is not the same nor similar thing as climbing on top of kitchen table.

Edit2: You're not even consistant, as the prompt before walking on acid for exemple doesn't take any time. My guess is that in you're coding, you're putting the prompt up after the game processed your move. You should fix that.

Yes, it should be consistent.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 02:49:45 am »

The game does not simply allow you to walk over table and cupboard, it penalize you by giving you a speed penalty. Learning to use speed penalties to our advantage is the n°1 advice new players are given. Every Cataclysm players knows the world is not flat.

But at some time, the hassle of dealing with that is simply not worth it. When you're simply crossing a forest, you don't want to painstakingly avoid each bush, because even though it's realistic, it's simply a pain in the ass from the player's POV. It adds nothing to the game experience.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 06:27:42 am »

The game does not simply allow you to walk over table and cupboard, it penalize you by giving you a speed penalty. Learning to use speed penalties to our advantage is the n°1 advice new players are given. Every Cataclysm players knows the world is not flat.

That's not convincing, video games can do better. Do you know of any other game where you can simply pass through/over furniture? That would be lame, almost as bad as moving through walls.

What I should really do is completely block stepping onto these obstacles, and if you want to climb it simply examine it, just like you climb over chain fence. Would that be better?

But at some time, the hassle of dealing with that is simply not worth it. When you're simply crossing a forest, you don't want to painstakingly avoid each bush, because even though it's realistic, it's simply a pain in the ass from the player's POV. It adds nothing to the game experience.

You just need to watch where you are going and press a key in the direction you want to move, just like in any other game. Don't attempt to step on bushes if you don't mean to climb them, simple as that.
Report Spam   Logged
Sheb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:32 am »

Wouldn't be too bad for tables and counters I guess, but I strongly oppose it for bushes. It change traveling through a large swathe of forest a PITA. I don't want to have to focus when I'm just running back home after a long day of looting.

And change that loss of time. Or else, everything should take time. Look in your inventory if there is something useful? Look into the crafting menu? All those should take time then.
Report Spam   Logged
Driverboy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:37:29 am »

Wouldn't be too bad for tables and counters I guess, but I strongly oppose it for bushes. It change traveling through a large swathe of forest a PITA. I don't want to have to focus when I'm just running back home after a long day of looting.

I'd say it's easy as in any other game. You seem to be saying you are lazy to play, would you also like you could walk through walls? Tell you what, you set up MingW compiler and I'll give you the source code and help you make the changes.

And change that loss of time. Or else, everything should take time. Look in your inventory if there is something useful? Look into the crafting menu? All those should take time then.

Yeah, perhaps things like that should take time.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum